Monday, May 24, 2010

DJ Apt One - Down and Derby Anniversary Mix



This is a mix I made for my homies who are celebrating the 4th anniversary of one of the coolest parties in the world, Down and Derby. It's a roller disco party and I wanted to put together some jams that I've played there over the years (as well as some more obscure joints), but I also wanted to play with the depth to the roller dance "genre."

I remember going to roller skating parties as a kid and dancing to new jack swing, hip hop and R&B, but obviously the genre is most closely associated with funky disco from the 70s. However, 80s funk, house and even early techno were roller groovers in various cities and eras so I had to toss some of those in as well. And if you go to Detroit, Kenny "Moodymann" Dixon is still doing it up roller-style with soulful sounds, house and more. So really, it's not so much about the roller skates and more about just straight up groovin on the dancefloor to anything worth dancing to!

Many thanks to Down and Derby family and make sure to check out the anniversary party May 29th at Belvedere's in Pittsburgh, and be sure to peep D+D when it rolls through your town, be it Vegas, LA, NYC or just about anywhere else for that matter!


DJ Apt One - Down and Derby 4th Anniversary Mix by DJ Apt One

DJ Apt One - Down and Derby 4-Year Anniversary Mix
Mediafire | 192 kbps

Tracklist:

1. One Way - Cutie Pie
2. Shalamar - There It Is
3. Positive K - I Got A Man (Extended Mix)
4. Mary Jane Girls - All Night Long (Edit)
5. Samuelle - So You Like What You See (Extended Mix)
6. Salt N Pepa - Let's Talk About Sex
7. Joe Public - Live And Learn
8. Empress - Dyin To Be Dancin' (DJ Apt One Edit)
9. DJ Apt One - Funky Hands In The Air Break
10. Diana Ross - Upside Down (You're Turning Me)
11. Sister Sledge - He's The Greatest Dancer
12. The Whispers - And The Beat Goes On
13. Jimmy Bo Horne - Dance Across The Floor
14. Johnny Pate - Shaft In Africa
15. The Blackbyrds - Rock Creek Park
16. Vaughan Mason - Bounce, Skate, Roll (DJ Apt One Edit)
17. The Jammers - Be Mine Tonight
18. Legacy - Word Up
19. Young and Company - I Like What You're Doing To Me (Instrumental)
20. SOS Band - Take Your Time (Do It Right)
21. Instant Funk - I Got My Mind Made Up (Larry Levan Mix)
22. De La Soul - Roller Skating Jam Named Saturdays
23. C+C Music Factory - Things That Make You Go Hmmm (Pump Mix)
24. Londonbeat - I've Been Thinking About You (Extended Mix)
25. Bizarre Inc - I'm Gonna Get You (Original Flavor Mix)
26. CZR - Chicago Southside
27. A Number of Names - Sharevari (DJ Apt One Edit Instrumental)
28. Steve "Silk" Hurley f/ M. Doc - It's Percussion
29. The System - Tu Estas En Mi Systema (You Are In My System)
30. Steve Poindexter - Work That Muther Fucker
31. Moodymann - Freaky Motherfucker
SLOW JAMS/COUPLES SKATE
32. The Isley Brothers - Between The Sheets
33. Roger - I Wanna Be Your Man

No comments: