Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Can't Get Out the Game

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


You know Nicole Wray, you just don't know you know Nicole Wray because the only reason you know Nicole Wray is because she sang the hook on Missy Elliott's "All N My Grill." If you're a little intrepid, you may recognize that she also sang the hook on Cam'ron's "Family Ties."

Well, she also did this track called "Can't Get Out Of the Game" with Beanie Sigel. I don't know what it's from, but it's a very deep portrait of assorted people who cannot escape their hustles and struggles to a better life. The beat is a wholesale rip of the first minute or so of some epic Barry White-sounding shit. Beanie's verse is subdued and mopey, which matches Beanie's mood for late 2005, when shit was so bad for the dude that Tom Breihan wrote an article called "Status Ain't Hood Is Worried About Beanie Sigel." True story.

I was at Botanica on Friday night to see my dudes Josh and Delay spin, and Josh threw down this Japanese record which turned out to be the sample from "Can't Get Out Of the Game." I don't know what it's called.

Nicole has had some other notable moments. She did a pretty ill club track with Peedi Crakk in 2005 or so called "If I Was Your Girlfriend." And she did a smokin r&b rework of "Still Tippin" which you may have heard on Diplo's Fabric mix. But "Can't" is the jam and I want you to have it.

Nicole Wray f/ Beanie Sigel - Can't Get Out the Game

1 comment:

KKS said...

Tatsuro Yamashita - Dancer. That's the sample. Produced by AQUA who produced Jay Z - My First Song