Thursday, January 24, 2008

look what i found



Unlike most twenty-something white rap dj's, I don't own The Isley Brothers' Go For Your Guns for "Footsteps in the Dark" which is better known as the song that "Today Was A Good Day" sampled. (I've got that on 45.)

I picked up Guns because, hey, Isley Brothers record for a dollar. I had kind of forgotten about it until I reorganized a bunch of stuff this weekend and ended up finding a bunch of records I forgot I actually owned.

Guns isn't the Isleys' best work. It's a little generic for its 1977 release and leans on some boring rock influence a bit much. But it's got some jams, not the least of which is "Tell Me When You Need It".

It's a medium funk jam about a man who can't take his lover's mess anymore. It also features a lot of fuzz guitar. This really could be a Devin the Dude song.



The Isley Brothers - Tell Me When You Need It (Parts 1 and 2)

No comments: