Sunday, January 13, 2008

Talkin in my sleep



Most people know West Street Mob for their Break Dance Electric Boogie breakbeat on Sugar Hill, that track flips Michael Viner's Apache with some vocoding. Surely you know it, it was even repressed on Sugar Hill, maybe even twice. But recently I stumbled upon a West Street Mob record that I must have passed over dozens of times over the years. Perhaps I heard just one side of this particular record if I ever tossed it on the platter. But I ran into the unfamilar West Street Mob record recently at Jerry's Records back in my hometown of Pittsburgh (perhaps the largest all-vinyl store around, including Amoeba Records in the Bay, certainly the best.). I dropped the needle and guess what I heard? A vocoded version of Sly and the Family Stone's Sing a Simple Song.



West Street Mob - Sing a Simple Song

No comments: