Friday, November 12, 2010

Five Years of Philadelphyinz



This Saturday is the 5-Year Anniversary of Philadelphyinz. That's beyond an eternity as far as parties go.

It’s been a long strange trip! Long story short, it’s pretty amazing to wake up every morning and know that going to “work” means DJing, traveling to new and exciting places and making music in the studio. It’s all because of this party, and it’s all because of the people who have come to this party (and those that it spawned) over the years. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

We'll be giving away a limited edition 5-Year Anniversary Mixtape, which is kinda funny, because today I remembered a quirky story about how this party came to be - a story in which an old mixtape I made is central... and then I found the mixtape. And I'mma post it.

But first, the details:

PHILADELPHYINZ 5-YEAR ANNIVERSARY SPECTACULAR

DJ APT ONE + SKINNY FRIEDMAN with
ED BLAMMO (BLAM CITY)
ELVIS SUAREZ (STRICTLY RHYTHM RECORDS)
JAY YO

Giveaways of a special 5-Year Anniversary mixtape

Hosted by Lexie -Free before 11, $5 After
Medusa Lounge, 27 S. 21st Street, Philadelphia


One night in November 2005, I walked into the Royal Tavern in South Philly to meet some friends, after polishing up a mixtape I was working on at home. The previous week I had played a Halloween show as Myron Cope Experience (an outfit I had with Burnso, who is featured on the most recent RCMP release) with Diplo and Plastic Little, that KT (not yet then of Broadzilla) had booked. I see Jayson (of PL) sitting at the bar chatting with Khyber booker Stacie George and I say hello. I didn't really know Stacie at the time or what she did for a living. Jayson and I cut it up about how Jules peed in an ice bucket in the green room. A propos of nothing, Stacie mentions that she's got a night she's trying to fill at the Khyber, Jayson says "this guy's a good DJ we played with him last week," I hand her the only finished copy of the mixtape I had just finished literally fifteen minutes earlier (which I was gonna give to my buddy Jai). A few days later I got a call back, fast forward five years, add Skinny Friedman, Medusa Lounge, Lexie, a record label, a bunch of touring and there you have it.

Anyway, here's the mix - called "The Food Money Mixtape." It's not really a representation of what I was playing in clubs at the time, but it's very representative of my tastes, has some pretty rare and cool records on it and it actually holds up to my standards pretty well. I found it this morning and gave it a listen or two and really enjoyed it. I won't give a tracklist (because I don't actually have one), but it's got some Eddy Senay, Nas, The Smiths, Whodini, Ohio Players, Biggie, Dexter Wansel, Cymande, Timmy Thomas, Raw Sex, Gwen McRae. I guess I haven't really changed that much over the years.

Enjoy!

DJ Apt One | Food Money Mix (2005)

Mediafire | 192 kbps

P.S. To see a brief photo retrospective of Philadelphyinz and a master-list of everybody who has played the party, go to Philadelphyinz.com.

Bonus points to those who can name some of the tunes in the mix in the comments!

1 comment:

Thurston Howell III said...

Bonus points to those who can name some of the tunes in the mix in the comments!

Here's what I heard:

Milli Vanilli - "Girl You Know it's True" (Skinny Friedman's Straight Up Gangsta Sh!t Mix)

Vanilla Ice - "Ice Ice Baby" (DJ Apt One's PBR Hipster Mix)

Rick Astley - "It Would Take A Strong Strong Man" (Skinny Friedman's Drag Queens and Go Go Boys Dub Mix)

Weather Girls - "It's Raining Men" (DJ Apt One's I Can't Even Think Straight Boyapella)

What do I win?